The season is upon us. Christmas. The time of year we often stress over what to buy, how much to spend, and whether we can afford truly meaningful gifts.
But what if you could give a life-changing gift for very little money? Who wouldn’t want to offer family and friends exotic escapes to faraway places? Or a great education teaching them how to live a happier and more balanced life? (Statistics say the 1% of those who achieve the highest success are avid readers.) Some on your list might appreciate tools for success, ideas on how to make more money, or the best way to find the job of their dreams.
If you would like to give a gift that keeps giving all year, or maybe a whole lifetime long, might I suggest a book? Inexpensive, long lasting, they might just be the perfect choice.
Don’t get me wrong, I too love things like Scentsy warmers, (proceeds under the Fresh Start Fresh Faith party on this site go to Fresh Faith ministries), spa products, board games, and electronic gadgets, but there’s still nothing like a book to make me smile when I peel the colored wrapping back.
Call me prejudiced, but I think the best gifts to buy for Christmas, or anytime for that matter, are books. So in the spirit of sharing good news, here’s a list of some of my fave titles and authors. (Isn’t it more fun to buy from someone you’ve met? Even if it is online. That’s why I’m including links to the author websites, so you can get an insider’s look at who they are.)
Take your pick, but give a book — or a few, and make someone’s life better through your giving. Happy reading everyone!!!
- Renewed — Finding Your Inner Happy in An Overwhelmed World by Lucille Zimmerman
- Related by Chance, Family by Choice — Transforming Mother-in-Law and Daughter-in-Law Relationships by Deborah Graeme DeArmond
- Wounded Women of the Bible — Finding Hope When Life Hurts by Dena Dyer-Author and Tina Samples – Author
- How to Talk So Your Husband Will Listen, and Listen So Your Husband Will Talk by Rick Johnson (As a multi-bestselling author, Rick has lots of other great titles to choose from.)
- Praying God’s Word for Your Life by Kathi Lipp and Jen Hatmaker (They both have written other great books as well.)
- We Laugh, We Cry, We Cook by Becky Johnson and Rachel Randolph
- When You Need a Miracle — How to Ask God for the Impossible by Linda Evans Shepherd (Another author with lots of titles to choose from.)
- Pioneering Today, and Pioneering Today — A Homemade Christmas by Melissa K. Norris
- The Listening Heart — Hearing God in Prayer by Judy Gordon Morrow
- Getting Through the Tough Stuff by Charles (Chuck) Swindoll
- Sheet Music by Dr. Kevin Leman (Ladies, this guy has written some fabulous books that will spice up your marriage, and make your man turn his head your way. Sex Begins in the Kitchen is another great title belonging to Leman.)
- Real Valor by Steve Farrar (Awesome titles for men.)
- Eyewitness to Majesty Bible Study by Mindy Ferguson
- The Bloodline Trilogy, including Proof, Peril, and Poison by Jordyn Redwood
- Into the Free and its sequel, When Mountains Move by Julie Perkins Cantrell
- A Heart Deceived by Michelle Griep
- The Birder Murder Mysteries a humerous series for mystery buffs by Jan Dunlap
- Dawnsinger — Tales of Faeraven by Janalyn Voigt
- Last Chance for Justice by Kathi Macias (This is only one of her many titles.)
Feel free to comment with your own favorite reads, and pass this list around. Let’s help each other buy gifts that make a difference. Through books, the world is at your fingertips.
Do you think books are a good investment?
Anita Fresh Faith
Anita Agers-Brooks is a Business and Inspirational Coach, Certified Personality Trainer, Productivity Expert, Certified Training Facilitator, Communications Specialist, and national speaker. Anita is also the author of, First Hired, Last Fired — How to Become Irreplaceable in Any Job Market. Now available at Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Books a Million, Lifeway, Christianbook.com, select Walmart’s, plus many fine stores, Christian and otherwise.
She’s a partner in The Zenith Zone, a business coaching firm. Member of the Christian Writer’s Guild, Toastmasters, and a client of WordServe Literary Group. A graduate of CLASSeminars for Leaders, Speakers, and Authors, a co-founder of The StoryWriting Studio, and speaker on circuit for Stonecroft International Ministries. Anita co-hosts a weekly podcast, Engaging Life and Leadership with Darren Dake, available on iTunes, Stitcher, and other podcast platforms.
Anita is passionate about business with integrity, healthy relationships, and issues of identity. She travels the country teaching others from her personal experiences and research. She believes it’s never too late for a fresh start with fresh faith.
Her favorite past time is lounging by a river or lake in Missouri, laughing with with her husband of thirty years, Ricky.